EXECUTIVE JOB VACANCIES (RE-ADVERTISED)
The Electricity Supply Corporation of Malawi (ESCOM) Limited is incorporated under the Companies Act of the Laws of Malawi. Its core business is to procure, transmit and distribute electric power in Malawi as well as manage System Market Operations in Malawi. ESCOM is inviting applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the following vacant position currently existing within the Corporation:
1. CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
The Chief Executive Officer shall be responsible to the Board of Directors for the efficient and effective operations of ESCOM. The successful candidate shall have overall responsibility for managing and ensuring that the performance of ESCOM is in line with policies set by the Board and the Government of Malawi in the provision of electricity.
Key responsibilities of the position
The Chief Executive Officer shall be responsible, but not limited, for the following:
- i) Providing leadership for improved power, purchase and transmission, distribution, revenue management and supply of electricity to customers;
- ii) Ensuring preparation of a long term forecast demand, taking into consideration the targets of electricity supply coverage and expected economic growth in consultation with Government.
- iii) Coordinating the purchase, transmission, distribution, system and market operator functions of the Corporation by ensuring that adequate capacity is available for the efficient supply of electricity to meet projected demands;
- iv) Ensuring that the customer base is increasing in line with the Government Policy and that operational infrastructure is expanded in a manner commensurate with existing and projected customer bases;
- v) Establishing medium and long-term plans with System and Market Operator, in planning, development, operation and maintenance of transmission network in Malawi;
- vi) Overseeing the medium and long-term plans, operations and maintenance of distribution network in Malawi.
- (vii) Overseeing the functions of the Single Buyer on long term forecast demand, taking into account of the targets on electricity supply coverage and expected economic growth in consultation with the Government;
- (viii) Developing and establishing the business expansion initiatives for the Corporation;
- ix) Directing and guiding all Divisions of ESCOM in the preparation of corporate strategic and business plans and aligning them with the Government Policies, ESCOM’s vision and mission statement;
- x) Undertaking continuous monitoring and evaluation of operational progress for each division of ESCOM through the establishment of effective Human Resource Management processes to achieve ESCOM’s set targets;
- xi) Identifying organisational structure changes and staff skills gaps, and establishing required change management processes;
- xii) Ensuring that ESCOM operates a proper and efficient accounting system in conformity with generally acceptable financial accounting standards, which include timely preparation of the budget plans in line with relevant legal instruments;
- xiii) Carrying out any other duties as assigned by the Board.
Qualifications and experience
The ideal candidate for the position must:
- a) Be a Malawian
- b) Have proven track record of managing strategic institutions of the size and complexity of ESCOM
- c) Be able to initiate and implement turn around strategies;
- d) Have good leadership and team building skills;
- e) Be results oriented, decisive, self-motivated, assertive, and a natural team builder with excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- f) Be of high integrity; and
- g) Have excellent negotiating skills;
2. CHIEF OPERATIONS OFFICER
The purpose of the job is to ensure that the operations of the Electricity Supply Corporation of Malawi (ESCOM) Limited are consistently efficient and effective; that there is proper management of resources, and distribution of services to its customers; and that continuous organisational supervision, monitoring and evaluation is conducted, led by the Divisional Directors. Programmes led by the Divisional heads responsible for Transmission, Distribution and Customer Services, and, Planning and Development; shall be coordinated by the Chief Operating Officer (COO) to ensure synergy.
The Chief Operating Officer (COO) shall therefore
- a) Report to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and will be responsible for supporting the CEO in focusing the establishment and optimisation of day-to-day operations in the Corporation
- b) Be responsible for developing, executing and managing the Corporation’s business plan with particular emphasis on operational and organisational performance and efficiency.
- c) Advise the entire Management Team on key planning issues, coordinate project delivery and make recommendations on important business decisions.
- d) Lead in strategic planning and resource allocation to the impact areas.
- e) Manage the delivery of the Integrated Strategic Plan (ISP) in the impact areas while ensuring linkages to, and joined-up working with the other divisions to meet overall delivery timelines.
- f) In line with the ISP, coordinate the development of organisational plans and budgets, and manage operational performance goals through the organisational Key Performance Indicators (KPI) for each technical division.
- g) Ensure that all Divisional heads are fully informed of the operational objectives across the organisation and monitor divisional performance against goals to ensure that progress is being achieved.
- h) Establish, monitor and consolidate organisational performance reporting systems with regard to meeting the strategic objectives for regular reporting to Management and the Board of Directors.
- i) Improve service to ESCOM’s customers and potential customers.
- j) Examine areas in the power system, plant and equipment, which cause power interruptions or inadequate delivery capacity and institute appropriate strategies and action plans to remedy the power interruptions and inadequate delivery capacity.
- k) Focus on staffing, infrastructure, resources and procedural weaknesses that may adversely affect service delivery and performance.
- l) Implement actions, practices and procedures on impact/priority bases to address the problems and initiate the process to reallocate resources to improve the situation.
- m) Improve communications with the Corporation’s customers and stakeholders.
- n) Ensure that a proper system for long- term load projections, demand side management, expansion planning, budgeting, revenue projections and cost reflective pricing is in place.
- o) Develop and propose to Management a work environment that recruits, retains and supports quality staff and a process for selecting, development, motivating and evaluating staff especially in technical areas.
- p) Any other duties that may be assigned by the CEO from time to time.
Essential requirements, key competencies and experience
The ideal candidate should have a minimum qualification of a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering and a Master’s Degree in Engineering, Management, Finance or Economics, with a proven track record of managing strategic institutions of the size and complexity of ESCOM. Those with experience in power (or electricity) utility will have an added advantage.
The ideal candidate for the position must:
Method of Application:
Interested persons should submit their applications, under confidential cover, either by post, courier or e-mail, enclosing detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) with names and contact details of three (3) traceable referees to:
The Comptroller of Statutory Corporations
P.O. Box 30061
Physical address: Capital Hill, GoG 7
With copies to
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org Email address: email@example.com
Closing date for receiving applications is 6th August 2021.
Individuals who applied to the previous adverts on the Chief Executive Officer and Chief Operating Officer may re-apply.
Only shortlisted applicants will be acknowledged.